Reports to: Food and Beverage Manager
Location: Highland Center – Bretton Woods, NH
$1,000 signing bonus available for this position.
The AMC offers a strong benefits package:
Group Health Plan: 73% employer paid Vacation: Four weeks accrued each year
Optional Dental Insurance at employee’s cost Holidays: Ten paid holidays per year
Optional Vision Insurance at employee’s cost Free /discounted use of AMC Destinations
Group Life Insurance: 100% employer paid Free AMC membership
STD/LTD/AD&D Insurance: 100% employer paid Pro-Deals discounts on equipment and gear
Matching 403B with 4% vesting schedule
The Appalachian Mountain Club (AMC) is searching for a creative and enthusiastic full-time cook to join the team at the Highland Center Lodge in the heart of the White Mountain National Forest. The AMC has a rich history of making healthy and delicious food from scratch in stunning locations, and we’re looking for someone to help us carry on this tradition. This is an exciting opportunity for someone who is looking to grow as a cook with the support of a large organization offering an annual salary, generous benefits and a regular schedule (Shifts are 4:30am-1pm or 11:30am-8pm).
The Highland Center in Crawford Notch serves hearty mountain fare in family style and buffet settings. Our kitchen primarily serve our lodge guests but also serves meals to the many outdoor enthusiasts, tourists and locals that pass through our doors. We operate year round with the summer season being our busiest followed by the winter months. The AMC is a not for profit organization that promotes the protection, enjoyment and understanding of the mountains, forests, waters and trails of the Appalachian Region. We would love to hear from candidates who want to make a career with AMC and have enthusiasm for our programs and mission!
- Prepare and serve all meals as scheduled and instructed according to pre-planned menus and established mealtimes.
- Welcome and assist all guests in a positive manner; respond to any problems or special requests with a positive, professional demeanor.
- Support and direct seasonal staff in the preparation and cleaning duties for breakfast, lunch, and dinner set-ups and breakdowns.
- Clean, sanitize, and inspect all areas maintained by the Kitchen Staff on a daily basis and as needed, to exceed New Hampshire Board of Health standards.
- Supervise the snack bar/deli during assigned shift with daily upkeep, prep, and service of customers.
- Provide assistance for inventories and ordering of food and supplies on a weekly basis.
- Assist in the preparation, set up and break down of coffee breaks, receptions, or any other special functions and/or events during work shifts.
- Assist the Food and Beverage Manager in creating appropriate menus for the season, holidays and specialty dinners.
- Actively participate in recycling programs, composting, the use of green materials and local food programs.
- Communicate actively with other departments to ensure that special requests are understood and met in a timely fashion.
- Travel occasionally to other AMC facilities for continuing education, cross training and support.
- Other duties as assigned. This job specification should not be construed to imply that these requirements are the exclusive standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as may be required by their supervisor.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Professional experience in preparing diverse, health-conscious meals including foods that incorporate fresh, local and/or organic ingredients in an institutional setting is preferred.
- Exceptional customer service skills and the ability to be a team player within a detail-oriented, fast-paced environment.
- Familiarity with the White Mountain National Forest and enthusiasm for AMC programs and mission is a plus but not required.
- Candidate must be willing to work weekends, holidays, and evenings on a routine basis.
- Physical abilities: Ability to stand, sit, walk and lift up to 60 pounds from waist to head high or from floor to waist high is required. Job is performed in a standard commercial kitchen with only occasional exposure to hazardous cleaning products.
The AMC offers a great benefits package! Here is a partial list that highlights some benefits offered to our regular full-time employees. Benefits may vary based on position.
- Group health plan with generous employer contribution
- Group life and AD&D insurance, 100 percent employer paid
- Long term disability insurance, 100 percent employer paid
- Retirement plan with matching contributions
- Paid vacation time, holiday’s, and sick time
- Use of AMC facilities, free and discounted rates.
- Free AMC membership.
The AMC is Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity in the workplace. The AMC encourages the involvement of all people in its mission and activities, through its membership, programs, policies and procedures. Our goal is to be a community that is comfortable, inviting and accessible for people of any age, gender, race, religion, ethnicity, ability, sexual orientation or socioeconomic status. Join us!
Staff will be required to show proof that they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. The AMC will consider an exemption from the vaccine requirement if they are unable to get vaccinated due to a qualifying medical disability or a sincerely held religious objection. An accommodation or exemption from the vaccine requirement will be considered if one is available that would not pose a direct threat to others in the workplace and would not create an undue hardship for the organization.
The Appalachian Mountain Club has zero tolerance for child abuse or placing children in danger. The AMC requires all employees who work in a program or facility which serves children, disabled persons or the elderly to have a criminal background record check performed on their name annually with employment contingent upon satisfactory results.
CLICK ON JOB TITLE TO APPLY JOB NOW @ HIRE A VETERAN JOB BOARD → [Cook – Full Time (Bretton Woods, Carroll, New Hampshire, USA) ]